Fifth Sunday in Lent, Year A

Good morning everyone, let's stand and get ready to pray.
Sign of the Cross.
Our Father.
Hail Mary.

The Raising of Lazarus (Lazarus Saturday) | St. Mary Magdalene ...

Today is the Fifth Sunday of Lent, or Lazarus Sunday. Does that mean we are further from Easter or closer? (Closer). Easter is almost here! Next Sunday we will celebrate the Passion, or Palm Sunday. In today's gospel we look at another great miracle Jesus performed.

But first, let's all stand and stretch our hands way up high, shake out your legs and let's get ready to sing together (Jesus is The Rock On Which I Stand):


That was great! I wonder, how strong is a rock? Is it stronger than a biscuit? We can break a biscuit and even bite into it, but can we do that to a rock? (No) Is a rock stronger than a tea cup? If a rock and tea cup fall off the table, will they both break? (No, the tea cup will break, not the rock). If I was playing "rock, paper, scissors" what would happen if I played "rock" and my friend played "scissors"? ("Rock" would win)

Rocks must be really strong then, they're very hard to destroy. Could there be anything greater than the strength of a rock? What about how much Jesus loves us? I think Jesus' love for us is stronger than any amount of rocks in the world, don't you? How come?

Now let's stand for our Gospel reading today:

How did Jesus raise Lazarus from dead? Was it a magic trick? Was it a miracle? How do we know?
Let's try a little experiment to find out.

All you will need is a few old 5¢ coins, and a small bowl with 6 parts white distilled vinegar to 2 parts salt. Mix the vinegar and salt solution well before you begin. Take a good sniff! Does it smell lovely? 👃😵😏

Now let's begin. On the LEFT side of my water and vinegar solution, I have some really old, dirty looking 5¢coins. On the RIGHT side of my solution, I have a shiny and clean 5¢ coin.
How did I get a dirty coin so shiny and clean? Note that I did not rub it or scrub it at all.
Can you see the coin in the MIDDLE? It is UNDER the solution. If you look closely, you can see half of the coin is shiny and half of it is not. How did I do that? Is it magic? Is it a miracle? 

I'm going to reveal the secret. I dipped HALF of the coin in the solution for a few seconds and took it back out. The vinegar and salt mix cleaned the dirtiness off of the coin, much like Jesus cleans our hearts of the wrong things we do.

Is this trick magic? Is this a miracle?

This is not a miracle. I've explained how I did the trick and I've shared how you can do it too. A miracle is something that cannot be explained and it's not like a magic trick or science experiment that everyone can do. No one can explain how Jesus performed the miracles he did or try to perform those miracle too. Jesus was the son of God and he used that power to perform miracles to help people because he loved us all so much.

Can I perform a miracle? Can you? Not likely. But you can try this at home and think about Jesus's miracles. Just as Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead and gave him a new chance at life, so too we clean these coins and make them shiny and new. This coin trick is not a miracle, but it's pretty cool huh?

Give it a try! Put your old coins INSIDE the solution and take them out after a few seconds. Do the coins look different the longer they stay in the solution? Your turn to find out!






Church of Saint Leo the Great | Children's Corner | Lincroft, NJ

Church of Saint Leo the Great | Children's Corner | Lincroft, NJ




Thank you for joining me today everyone.
Let's stand and get ready for our closing prayer.
Hands together, feet together, eyes closed.

Sign of the Cross.

Thank you Lord for letting us hear your Word today. Be with us through our week and remind us to let you keep working in us and washing away the parts of us that aren't so nice so we can let you shine, nice and bright, in our hearts, super clean and shiny. Help us to be helpful, kind, and loving to others just as you performed miracles like the one we learned about today because you loved us and wanted to show kindness and help people. We thank you for your amazing miracles Lord, and ask that you help us remember your awesome works so we can try to be awesome too! Bless us Lord, lift us up and our friends and families as we remember to love one another during this time of isolation and follow instructions to stay healthy and strong. In your Great and Holy name we pray Lord Jesus, Amen.

Sign of the Cross.

Click here join our nation in this live Day of Prayer.
Click here to live stream Mass from OLPH, San Fernando.

Watch Today's Mass with the Archbishop on Trinity TV:

Children's Mass Readings & Homily:


No comments:

Post a Comment